Barbecue Short Rib Chilaquiles are made easy using lime flavoured tortilla chips and salsa con queso. Local Calgary chefs Connie DeSousa and John Jackson season Canadian Beef short ribs and braise them in a flavourful sauce. They are served bone-in on a platter with the chips, sauce and garnishes including fried eggs creating a drool-worthy dish worth sharing.
Connie and John are co-chefs and owners of Charcut Roast house, Charbar, Alley Burger, Rooftop Bar at Simmons and Connie and John’s Pizza.
Barbecue Short Rib Chilaquiles
Crispy tortilla chips swimming in fall-apart, slow-cooked beef short ribs, covered with plenty of cheese! A delicious take on a classic Mexican dish.
Servings 6 people
- 5 tsp salt (but season to taste with final product), 25 ml
- 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1 ml
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 3 ml
- 1/4 tsp oregano, 1 ml
- 1 tsp cumin, 5 ml
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, 1 ml
- 5 lbs short ribs with bone, 2 1/4 kg
- 4 tbsp olive oil for searing and frying eggs, 60 ml
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 tbsp Chipotle, canned, 45 ml
- 1/2 cup tomato paste, 125 ml
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar, 60 ml
- 4 tbsp (4 Tbsp) red wine, 60 ml
- 4 cups beef stock, 1 litre
- 1 bag Tostitos® Hint of Lime tortilla chips
- 5 eggs
- 1 jar Tostitos® Salsa Con Queso
- 2 avocados diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 lime wedge
How to make the short ribs:
- Combine salt, onion powder, black pepper, oregano, cumin, and paprika together in a bowl to make seasoning mixture.
- Pat short ribs dry and season with mixture.
- Sear short ribs in oil until they’re evenly brown. Set them aside in a large roasting pot.
- In the same pan used to sear the short ribs, add 1-2 tbsp olive oil and sauté the garlic (do not let brown).
- Add the canned chipotle and tomato paste and use the vinegar and wine to remove the remains from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour this mixture over the short ribs and add stock, covering the pan with lid or foil.
- Cook short ribs at 175 C (350 F) for 3-4hrs or until meat is tender and falls off the bone.
- Remove short ribs from liquid, keep them warm while you strain the sauce into a pot and reduce it to a consistency that coats the back of a spoon.
- Season to taste if necessary. Set aside and keep warm.
How to finish the dish:
- Place the short ribs in the center of a large platter 14-16 in with bones standing upright.
- In a large bowl, toss ¼ of the Tostitos Hint of Lime tortilla chips in the short rib sauce.
- Pour the rest of the ¾ bag of Tostitos Hint of Lime tortilla chips around the short ribs on the platter.
- Top with the sauce coated chips.
- Fry the eggs sunny side up with 15-30 ml (1-2 Tbsp) olive oil.
- Garnish the top of the chips with diced avocado. Top with the fried eggs around the short ribs on the chips. Spoon the heated Tostitos Salsa Con Queso evenly on the chips. Top with tomato halves, cilantro and lime wedges.
Leave A Comment