Falernum is a mix of spices, sugar and sometimes almonds, created in the Caribbean made to enhance classic tropical cocktails. This elusive elixir or simple syrup adds depth and subtlety to any cocktail including the Olden Bay and Sketches of Spain cocktails also found in this website.
Homemade Falernum Syrup
- 375 ml water
- 5 g cloves
- 5 g lime zest (approximately 2 limes)
- 30 g chopped gingerroot
- 1 whole cinnamon stick broken
- 375 g sugar
- Add everything except the sugar to blender and pulse to chop.
- Add to pan and heat to around 60° C.
- Add sugar and dissolve over heat. Strain while hot, bottle and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.