Little Gem lettuce is a small lettuce that is a cross between romaine and butter lettuce offering both a crisp and sweet bite. It pairs nicely with the blue cheese, cooked bacon and buttermilk dressing in this recipe. Simply add a side of steak.
- 1 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 21/4 oz Hy's buttermilk ranch dressing
- 1 oz crumbed cooked bacon
- 4-5 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 head gem lettuce
Hy's Buttermilk Dressing Ingredients
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1/3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Each of chopped fresh parsley, basil and dill
- salt and pepper
- Wash and cut one head of gem lettuce length wise. Place in centre of plate.
- Dress the cut lettuce with the prepared dressing, allowing it to cascade down the sides of the lettuce.
- Garnish with blue cheese, tomatoes and cooked bacon. Slice the egg in half and place on the side of the salad.
Hy's Buttermilk Dressing
- Mix mayonnaise through to fresh herbs together and season with salt and pepper. Chill until ready to serve.