A quick, simple any time meal, Italian Vegetable Soup is easy to assemble using pantry ingredients. Loaded with flavour, it can be enjoyed as a vegetarian weeknight dinner as is or with chopped, cooked rotisserie chicken mixed in.
Petite-cut tomatoes come in different flavours– including Spicy (adds extra kick to the Mexican version), Chili and Italian (a flavourful addition to the Italian version). I always keep cartons of vegetable or chicken stock, cans of various petite tomatoes and beans or lentils stocked in my cupboard for a night when I want to clear out my fridge’s veggie drawer.
This basic vegetable soup can be frozen once cooled. Use small containers and pull out only what you will need.
If you are looking for more vegetarian soup recipes, check out Mexican Vegetable Soup and French Vegetable Soup!
Italian Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil or other neutral vegetable oil
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup green beans, fresh or frozen
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 540 ml can petite-diced tomatoes
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp Aleppo pepper or chili flakes, optional
- 1 398ml can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup ditalini, macaroni or other small pasta
- 1 tbsp parsley
- pesto to drizzle on top
- grated Parmesan
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- crusty bread
- Heat butter and oil in large stockpot to medium. Add carrot and onion, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes, then add green beans and other veggies (except peas).
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and add garlic powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7minutes, or until veggies start to soften and onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes, stock and water, plus seasonings. Stir in beans and bring up to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 30-40 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Mix in pasta during last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Stir in peas, if using and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Drizzle each bowl with pesto, Parmesan and serve with crusty bread.
[…] If you are looking for more vegetarian soup recipes, check out French Vegetable Soup and Italian Vegetable Soup! […]