Sweet Chili Sauce is typically made from a combination of chili peppers that have been minced, chopped or pureed, then mixed with ingredients like vinegar, salt, sugar, and garlic. There are many recipes on the web to make your own chili sauce, however for this recipe we use store bought to save time. The chili sauce when combined with honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, fish sauce and a few other items becomes fragrant after being heated and thickens after cooling down. We use this sauce to glaze our grilled chicken thighs before serving with rice and a fresh cucumber salad.
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
Chicken thighs have a higher fat content ensuring they retain moisture when cooked making them a great choice for skewers, curries or chili dishes, in sandwiches, soups or even pot pies.
Typically known as a less expensive cut of poultry, thighs are flavourful whether you use bone-in or boneless, and they cook quickly making them an easy anytime meal.
Chicken Recipes with AMA and Bon Ton Meat Market
Grilled with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, then dipped into a honey chili sauce gives these chicken thighs a sweet and slightly spicy flavour becoming a winning chicken dinner. This summer we’ve been cooking with the AMA Backyard BBQ group supporting local farmers, ranchers, and businesses.
We’ve collaborated with Bon Ton Meat Market in Crowfoot Village who has expertly prepared the chicken for us so we could make our meals. In addition to grilling our Sweet Chili Chicken Thighs, we’ve made Grilled Spatchcock Chicken, and Shish Tawook Chicken Kabobs.
Sweet Chili Chicken Thighs
- 8-10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (30 ml)
- 1/2 cup honey (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce (125 ml)
- 2 tsp sambel oelek (10 ml)
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar (10 ml)
- 4 tsp fish sauce (20 ml)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan or wok combine soy sauce through fish sauce. Bring to a low simmer for about 10 minutes over low to medium heat. Remove from heat and let cool. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Place chicken thighs on a platter and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Grilled the chicken until it is just cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and cover with tin foil.
- Drop cooked chicken thighs into glaze ensuring each piece is thoroughly coated. Place pieces on a platter and pour a little extra glaze on top. Put extra glaze in a bowl and serve with chicken.