An Old Fashioned Cocktail is a sophisticated blend of bourbon, bitters, sugar and sometimes a splash of soda or water finished with an orange peel.
Recipe and photo by Tanya Schaap
Hy's Old Fashioned
- 1 orange peel
- 2 oz Chairman's Select 100% rye or Evan Williams bourbon
- 1/2 oz demerara simple syrup
- 7 dashes Angostura bitters
- Peel ribbon of orange and release the essential oils by bruising the peel into a mixing glass with the demerara simple syrup.
- Add ice, bitters, rye or bourbon.
- Stir to the count of 10. Strain over ice into rocks glass. Garnish with a thick orange ribbon.
Demerara simple syrup is made with equal parts water and sugar. Bring 1 cup of water to a biol. Add 1 cup of demerara (dark brown) sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in fridge for up to 1 week.